Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lentil Chili Recipe

Here's a great recipe for those who are looking for a slight variation on normal chili. A lady made this for me when I was traveling several years ago, and I tried making it myself after I got married. It's become a favorite family recipe now! The recipe makes enough to freeze some for later.

Lentil Chili (10 servings)

  • 1 onion
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 pound dry lentils
  • 10 cups of water
  • 29 oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups prepared salsa
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • grated cheddar cheese (optional)

Chop onion. Spray a 5 quart pot with non-stick cooking spray. Add onion. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until tender (about 5 minutes).

Crumble in turkey and cook until opaque. Add lentils and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer one and a half hours.

Add tomatoes, salsa, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Simmer fifteen minutes.

Garnish with cheese before serving.

0 comments: